Welcome to My World

Regardless of where we are, life comes at us. If we want to cherish the moments, they tend to pass us by faster than we can savor them. If we would rather skip a day, it seems to linger endlessly. But life is what it is, and we have to make the most of what we have and focus on the good aspects, large or small, to truly relish our life.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Summer Camp Expectations

I find it utterly interesting to watch my children grow up and learn new things.  It's amazing how my seven year old daughter thinks she knows more than she does.  Or maybe it's not that she thinks she knows more than she does, but that she doesn't always have the ability to apply the knowledge she has gained.  She has always had an independent spirit, but she is only now beginning to learn that head knowledge does not always equate experience.

This week, Nyssa attended summer camp for the first time.  She was so excited and ready to go experience the cabins, the great outdoors, the fun!  She was ready for the campfires and the singalongs.  Most of all, Nyssa was looking forward to swimming. 

She loves the water; she loves taking baths, to the point that if I were not to keep an eye on her, she'd stay in the tub for half the day, a true woman in the making.  But she has never taken swimming lessons, as I don't have a sitter for the other 3 children while I watch her at the lessons.  That didn't phase her, though, she was ready to go off into the deep end.

One thing to know about my daughter is this:  She is highly intellectual.  She reads something once and she remembers it.  She's been reading since she was 3 and has never slowed down.  She's reading on a fifth grade level and absorbs every bit of it.  We got a set of World Book Encyclopedias about 3 weeks ago and she's already to H.  Yes, she likes to read the encyclopedia and she remembers all that she has read in it so far.

She also likes to read a book my husband bought her for Christmas:  The Double Dare Book for Girls.  Inside it are all sorts of "girly" facts, like knitting stitches and special recipes, fitness tips and beauty tips, things like that.  Two months ago, she announced to me that she now knows how to swim.  Intrigued, I asked her how as she has only been in a swimming pool a few times in her life.  She stated that she read all about it in the Double Dare book.  It illustrated and described the breast stroke, floating, the butterfly, and the backstroke.

She read it, therefore she knows how to do it.  It is very logical reasoning to her.  I gently explained to her that knowing how to do something and actually being able to do it are two different things.  Her head may know all the facts, but her body has not had any experience or training.  She didn't understand how, if she can read something and understand all about it, her body wouldn't automatically adjust.  So, she chalked it off to me just being Mom and tucked away my reservations with the assurance that she really did know better. 

Understanding my daughter's character, I told her counselor about our discussion and asked that she please keep an eye on Nyssa when she goes swimming.  After all, in some pools, she can't even touch the bottom.  Well, she can touch the bottom, just not at the same time as being able to breathe air.  She's a tiny young 7 year old, at just around 3'6" and just under 40 lbs.  Fortunately, the children are required to take a swimming test before just diving in the pool.

She came home from camp today and told me all about her week.  She loved the showers, the canteen store where she could buy snacks, and the programs they held.  She loved the cabins and meeting new friends; she loved that she was a part of the Pink Team with her very own pink dog tag.  She also stated with a sigh that she nearly drowned twice.  Alas, she learned the hard way that, as much as her mind knows how to swim, her body does not.

Before you worry, I also heard the counselor's view on the pool experience.  She was right there with Nyssa, and no harm would have come to my daughter, as she was very quickly plucked up both times and set on the steps.  She was even able to borrow some swim noodles to float with in the shallow end and practiced kicking her feet and holding her breath under water.  All in all, Nyssa thoroughly enjoyed the pool just as much as she had the puppet shows and the overall camping experience.

My husband and I couldn't help stifle the laughter upon hearing Nyssa's experience.  We had been discussing the issue all week, wondering what her reaction would be when she truly discovered the fallacy in her logic.  To her credit, aside from the initial disappointment, she took it well in stride, and admitted her inabilities.  She realized her inadequacies and yet realized there was something she could do to overcome them so that eventually, she will be able to swim.  We were both very proud of her for that.

Yes, we eventually laughed together quietly, but I also know that even as adults we sometimes think we are ready for something until we jump in and realize that we are sinking quickly.  There is no shame in admitting we can't swim, as long as we grab hold of something that helps us get back above water, evaluate the situation, and learn from our mistaken logic.  When we can own up to that lack of knowledge or ability, we can then work toward equipping ourselves for next time.  Yes, my daughter had a very good week at camp.  She even showed me a thing or two about growing up.

2 comments:

  1. Your daughter reminds me of myself. When I was three, I was an only child. My parents were graduate students at University of Chicago, as were all their friends. So basically all I knew was adults. And now that I was three, I could walk and talk, run and climb and read - I could do everything that the adults did. Following logic similar to your daughter's but a little more childish, I went down to the end of the dock and jumped into Lake Geneva. To my utter shock, my self-proclaimed adult status did not enable me to swim in ten-foot-deep water as my parents and friends could. But my dad did become a complete hero in my eyes by diving in and saving me from drowning.

    Two or three years later I had a similar shock when I tested my belief that since I could read or sound out every word I came across, I could read anything. Newsweek, yes; Einstein most definitely no.

    I'm glad all turned out well for your daughter with a good experience at camp!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. finnally got into my facebook page and got to read your blogs. Totally enjoyed them

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments here :D