Welcome to My World

Regardless of where we are, life comes at us. If we want to cherish the moments, they tend to pass us by faster than we can savor them. If we would rather skip a day, it seems to linger endlessly. But life is what it is, and we have to make the most of what we have and focus on the good aspects, large or small, to truly relish our life.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Taking the Opportunity

I've been rather silent here for far too long and something happened today to remind me that when I am waiting for a chance to get where I want to go, there is more to it than just wanting to have the opportunity.  I was driving home from a meaningful meeting regarding my current situation when, upon passing through a light, I saw a man in a truck sitting in a turn lane with his blinkers on.  He was attempting to turn into a shopping center and had been waiting there the whole time I was waiting for the stoplight to change to green.

I saw that the traffic had been flowing consistently, blocking him from entering the parking lot.  I slowed to a stop and flashed my lights toward him so he would know I was giving him a chance to turn.  I waited for a few moments and then flickered my lights once again.  It was to no avail, for he was not looking at the road. He had his eyes in heavy concentration on his cell phone and did not see me.  I could wait no longer, for the cars behind me had caught up and I needed to get moving  The gentleman missed the opportunity because he was focused elsewhere and failed to see the opening when he had one.

I was momentarily bummed for him, because I knew the man had been sitting there, stuck and at the mercy of fellow motorists.  Then I was puzzled as to why he had not kept his eyes on the road.  I then not kept my mind on important matters and had missed opportunities for my failure to see them.

In life we are all wondered how much longer he would have to wait.  It made me stop and consider the times I have taken my eyes off of where they need to be.  How often have I missed opportunities to witness, to serve, to be in a different lane because I am distracted?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments here :D