Welcome to My World

Regardless of where we are, life comes at us. If we want to cherish the moments, they tend to pass us by faster than we can savor them. If we would rather skip a day, it seems to linger endlessly. But life is what it is, and we have to make the most of what we have and focus on the good aspects, large or small, to truly relish our life.

Monday, December 5, 2011

A Real Pain in the Neck

One thing I can say about life is that it is certainly not predictable.  It is constantly in motion, ever changing with subtle, smooth movements or lightning paced activity.  More often than not, one event makes the framework for the next.  If you don't pay attention to those moments, or if you respond incorrectly, you can find yourself having lost complete control.  Then, even when you do finally  can be quite difficult to live with for a time.  When you don't pay attention, it

One such event occurred to me on November 11 of this year.  It was a seemingly harmless common incident that turned my world upside down.  My to N & N's were finishing their gymnastics class.  Nathaniel had a rough time, but he was trying to get himself back under control.  The class ended with the children taking turns swinging on a rope into a 5-ft deep foam pit.

As I mentioned just moments ago, Nathaniel had a rough time.  He took his turn and let go of the rope.  He was supposed to make his way back to the edge of the pit to get ready to go home.  He decided he was having so much fun that he did not want to leave.  I had no choice but to go in after him. 

I jumped in close to where he was happily playing and finally got hold of his arms.  He was not very happy with those circumstances, so he decided to change them by fighting the pull of my arms.  When he did, the lower part of my body didn't move due to the foam.  My neck, however, went with him.  At that moment, I felt an uncomfortable tinge, but I ignored it for the moment, as the urgent business at hand required getting him out of the gymnasium.

Since it was a Friday, I waited until Monday to have anything checked out.  I figured I just popped my neck out of joint and a chiropractor's hand was all it would take.  Well, one day lead to another and another; I was busily preparing for a trip to Texas for Thanksgiving.  To make a long story short, I waited perhaps too long to get myself checked.

The chiropractor took one feel and said she was not going to do anything until we had an MRI of my neck and back, along with some x-rays.  A steroid shot and a Vicodin later so I could stand lying still enough for the lab work, I found myself inside the magnetic chamber, realizing that I probably should have gone in earlier.

Thankfully nothing was broken.  But even I could see where the x-ray showed a thoracic vertebra off kilter.  It was right in between my shoulder blades, where the knife pain was.  I can't translate MRI's, but according to the report, I had a bulge in between my C5 and C6, and between my C6 and C7...translated, that was two herniated disks in my neck.  My back and neck were in constant spasms, even causing my arms to be partially numb.  The other diagnosis was a sprained neck and possibly sprained back.  I'm out of commission for anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks if I behave like a good little girl.

I was told to not lift anything more than 4 pounds, and absolutely no picking up a child.  I initially nervously laughed it off, saying that I'd do the best I could but, well, you know how it is with kids.  Sometimes you just got to do what you've got to do.  I don't think my chiropractor has ever shot daggers at me before.  She told me under no uncertain terms that I WOULD comply, that I would NOT pick up my two year old, and that I WOULD behave or else.  She loves me, she really does care.

So, the next item on the agenda was whether I would be able to participate in the Christmas production the choir puts on every year.  It's so festive and I adore the songs.  I decided to try.  I hit all my notes, so I'd like to say that rehearsal went well.  That is, if you want to consider the fact that I was wearing a neck brace, it hurt like the dickens to sing the high notes, I rocked back and forth, and I was almost in tears by time it was over.  And I still had an hour left before I could take more pain medications.  It was evidently clear, but I tried to be stubborn.

Yes, I tried to be as stubborn as that pack mule I envision every time I hear how Mary and Joseph took that trip from Nazareth to Bethlehem, or the donkey who stopped in his tracks when the angel appeared before it while she carried Balaam.  I talked to my doctor once again and she gave me the look that said, "Why are you even asking me about this?"  So, with a heavy heart, because I love singing so much and didn't want to let the choir down, I told our wonderful director this morning that I was going to have to sit it out.  I hope to be able to sit and watch it from the crowd, but even that is up in the air at this time.

I thought I was going to cry when she told me she already knew and to not worry about the production.  I don't think I've ever been so happy to not have a solo in my life.  Sometimes life can be a pain in the neck, but it can be those very times in which life shows the sweet, tender side as well.  As for me, I am seeing the best in people while I sit by the sidelines.

Did I mention that I love my church?  The choir is full of amazing people!  I received nothing but encouragement this morning.  Anita is coming every weekday to help with Gabriela, the house, driving me to appointments, and cooking a meal or two ahead of time so all Richard or the kids have to do is pop it in the oven or microwave to reheat.  I've already received phone calls and sweet visits from friends.

The magical season for giving has revealed itself earlier this year to me, as all these loved ones are giving of their time and concern.  I will also reiterate here how my beloved Richard is taking Benjamin to school in the mornings and helping take charge of the children, giving up a lot of his cave time to help when he gets off work.  Even Benjamin's preschool is going out of its way to help.  The administration is allowing him to be picked up early until I'm allowed to drive again.

Yes, I am currently experiencing quite a pain in my neck...and my shoulders, and my back.  But I am also receiving so much love from all angles that the gratefulness all but overshadows the pain.  To be quite honest, the muscle relaxers and Vicodin help me to relax and make the pain distant for an hour or two, but it is the love I am given at this time that gives me visions of bliss and causes me to sleep in Heavenly peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments here :D